To support the research activities of faculty serving as a Lead Principal Investigator (LPI) or a Principal Investigator (PI) role on the grant.
Key Result Areas
- Contribute to research with sufficient supervision as a team member.
- Assist the research team in the development of research or survey methodologies, implementation of research studies, importing of data into analysis software, basic database, analysis, and generation of reports.
- Assist in the preparation of research proposals intended for national and international agencies to secure competitive funding and grants for research projects.
- Prepare research reports, papers and articles to be published in scientific journals and conference proceedings.
- Report and treat data with a high level of integrity and ethics complying with relevant data usage and policies.
- Ensure appropriate records and documentation of research experiments, samples and specimens examined are maintained while ensuring the accuracy of laboratory reports.
- Develop experimental design, operation of laboratory (SOP), and research procedures.
- Conduct literature review and prepare materials for grant submissions.
- Maintain quality and safety assurance policies and procedures to ensure the validity of tests and working environment.
- Maintain familiarity with current scientific literature and contribute to the development of new methods and technologies for project advancement.
- Participate in the development and implementation of new procedures within the research or laboratory as appropriate.
- Maintain electronic and hardcopy data files and reports in compliance with the research policy and QF intellectual property rights.
- Coordinate the daily activities of the research team and assist with, and where appropriate be responsible for the development and revision of policies and procedures to ensure that the entity meets research quality objectives towards accreditation standards.
- Maintain, calibrate, operate, and monitor the use of assigned facility or equipment and manage laboratory supplies and inventory.
- Ensure adequate levels of consumable supplies and other items required are managed and used appropriately.
- Operate laboratory equipment or platform technology proficiently.
- Coordinate and attend project meetings, summarize and present results.
- Plan and participate in orientation and educational activities of staff and trainees to fulfill working knowledge of the laboratory procedures and protocols.
- Other reasonable tasks as assigned by supervisor.
Operating Environment, Framework & Boundaries
The majority of work is carried out in office and laboratory-based environments. Must comply with QF health, safety, security, and environment policies, procedures, legal regulations, and objectives applicable to areas of responsibility to ensure that work is performed in a safe, healthy and environmentally-sound manner.
Communications and Working Relationships
- Faculty serving as LPI or PI role on the grant.
- Senior research staff – frequent contact to receive work instructions, collaborate on projects, and report on research progress.
- Other researchers and scientists (locally, regionally, and internationally) – regular contact for knowledge sharing and keeping abreast of the latest technological developments.
Problem Solving & Complexity
- Evaluates different options when solving problems.
- Refrains from drawing conclusions in the absence of clear evidence, takes time to collect facts before developing a solution.
- Considers the medium-term as well as the immediate short-term impact of outcomes and actions.
- Demonstrates an awareness of the impact of the preferred solution on other projects/ related problems.
Decision Making Authority & Responsibility
- Accepts responsibility/accountability for own decisions and explains the rationale.
- Reviews available information in conjunction with interested parties and arrives at decisions by consensus judging degree of consultation needed to ensure commitment.
- Remains calm and resourceful when making difficult decisions, basing them on facts.
- Ensures decisions are taken by self and group after reviewing available information while exhibiting reasonable foresight.
- Conducts research and presents findings and recommendations to the direct supervisor, who takes final decisions.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Master’s degree in relevant field.
- 0-2 years of relevant full-time work experience.
- Experience with computing technologies and programming languages.
- Experience in laboratory experimentation, techniques, protocols.
- Working knowledge of good laboratory practices and safety regulations and procedures, including the management of hazardous materials.
- Proficiency in acquiring new skills and experimental techniques.
- Ability to supervise and train new research assistants, students, and staff.
- Excellent writing skills – the ability to draft/edit a variety of written reports and documents, and articulate ideas clearly and concisely.
- Proficiency in Arabic a plus.
- Proficiency in MS Office applications.
How to Apply
Please submit your completed application (CV, cover letter, and the names of three references with their full contact information) via the following link: Click here to apply
Review of applications is expected to begin soon and continue until the position is filled. Shortlisted candidates will be called for interviews.
HBKU offers an attractive compensation package that includes a tax-free salary and additional benefits such as an education allowance, furnished accommodation, annual paid leave, air tickets and medical insurance.
HBKU, as an equal opportunity educator and employer, is committed to maintaining culturally and academically diverse staff of the highest caliber.