Qatar Computing Research Institute (QCRI) aims to build Qatar’s innovation and technology capacity by focusing on large-scale computing challenges that address national priorities for growth and development, supporting Qatar’s transformation from a hydrocarbon-based economy to a knowledge-based economy. In doing this, QCRI conducts world-class multidisciplinary computing research that is relevant to the needs of Qatar, the wider Arab region, and the world.
To conduct scientific research work that addresses the developmental needs of Qatar and enabling the development of applications in health, energy, environment and computing research.
Key Result Areas:
- To lead scientific investigations in any one of the subject fields such as Arab Language Technologies, Social Computing, Distributed System, Cybersecurity, and Data Analysis, or any other relevant areas that will help achieve a Digital Society status for the State of Qatar.
- Lead and conduct independent research that will make major original contributions to the research institute in order to create recognition of marked distinction in its area of research.
- Supervise and train scientific staff on research methodologies, modelling and simulation and evaluation of research results in order to ensure the highest standards of practice and research quality throughout the center.
- Actively participate in all aspects of research projects including management and/or leadership of large research projects or teams including research related administrative functions.
- Prepare research proposal submissions to appropriate national and international agencies in order to secure competitive funding.
- Actively participate in research conferences and seminars in the field of expertise.
- Produce conference, seminar papers and publications from research.
- Contribute to the teaching programs within HBKU, Education City or Qatar as needed.
- Supervise graduate research projects where needed.
- Ensure appropriate records and documentation of research experiments, samples and specimens examined are maintained while ensuring accuracy of laboratory reports.
- Maintain expertise and awareness of current technological and scientific developments in relevant aspects of the discipline as specified in the role.
- Assist with, and where appropriate be responsible for, policies and procedures to ensure that QCRI meets research quality objectives towards accreditation standards.
- Participate in the development and implementation of new procedures within QCRI.
- Advice on the niche areas of development for QCRI and HBKU, and contribute to the development of roadmaps for research implementation.
- Assist with the integration of individual projects into a cohesive overall program and coordinates with other QF Research initiatives throughout the institute, HBKU, the education city and nationwide.
- Provide analysis, recommendations and presentations to cross-functional teams, QCRI and QF Research and Development where and when needed.
- Other reasonable tasks as assigned by supervisor.
Communications and Working Relationships:
- Executive Director – regular contact to provide weekly reports on ongoing projects and discussion about forthcoming and planned projects.
- Scientific staff – frequent contact to assist with project development, follow up on initiated projects, and provide training and guidance when needed.
- Graduate students – contact as needed to provide support on research projects.
- External research centers/groups – contact as needed to develop and maintain relationships.
Problem Solving & Complexity:
- Evaluates, compares and relates information from across the business.
- Identifies broader implications of proposed solutions across the organization.
- Uses own experience and evidence from theory, other industries and technologies to identify problems and understand situations.
- Reviews existing policy to enable effective problem solving and judgment by the team.
Decision-Making Authority & Responsibility:
- Exhibits sound judgment to anticipate potential implications of all decisions; balances benefits and risks and identifies areas of uncertainty.
- Evaluates information by penetrating questions, thus ensuring complete information is available to make an informed decision.
- Arrives at well-researched decisions that balance quality service and cost.
- Encourages and supports appropriate risk taking by subordinates when making decisions.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- PhD in a relevant scientific field with hands-on laboratory experience.
- At least 6 years relevant full time work experience with a demonstrated strong record of publications, conference papers, reports and/or professional and/or technical contributions in the relevant scientific discipline.
- Superior knowledge in scientific research methods and evaluation of research results.
- Possess both theoretical and applied skills.
- Outstanding leadership skills; able to lead small research teams.
- An outstanding contributor to original research.
How to apply
Candidates should submit their complete application (CV, cover letter, research statement, teaching statement and names of 3 references with their full contact information) on the following link: Click here to apply.
The position will remain open until filled. Shortlisted candidates will be called for interview.
HBKU offers an attractive compensation package that includes a tax-free salary and additional benefits such as furnished accommodation, annual paid leave, and medical insurance.
HBKU, an equal opportunity educator and employer, is committed to maintaining culturally and academically diverse staff of the highest caliber.