Qatar Computing Research Institute (QCRI) aims to build Qatar’s innovation and technology capacity by focusing on large-scale computing challenges that address national priorities for growth and development, supporting Qatar’s transformation from a hydrocarbon-based economy to a knowledge-based economy. In doing this, QCRI conducts world-class multidisciplinary computing research that is relevant to the needs of Qatar, the wider Arab region, and the world.
To work as part of a research team to develop new research objectives, methodologies, and solutions related to Digital Society Research or Computer-Enabled Scientific Discovery Research in the areas of Arab Language Technologies, Social Computing, Distributed Systems, Cybersecurity, Data Analysis, or any other relevant areas to facilitate Qatar’s transformation into a Digital Society.
Key Result Areas:
- Conduct research under limited supervision, either as a member of a team under the direct supervision of a principal investigator or senior scientist or, where appropriate, independently, in order to increase valuable knowledge in area of research.
- Apply basic scientific principles, perform literature searches, attend scientific meetings, and keep abreast of literature in area of expertise.
- Produce research reports and seminar papers of such high quality that they merit printing in peer-reviewed publications and presenting at conferences.
- Prepare research proposals for submission to appropriate national and international agencies in order to secure competitive funding.
- Participate in research conferences and seminars in the area of expertise.
- Develop experimental designs, research procedures, and procedures for the operation of laboratory and technical equipment.
- Treat research and data with a high level of integrity and ethics; ensure its accuracy.
- Contribute to teaching programs within HBKU, Education City or Qatar within the field of expertise as needed.
- Supervise postgraduate research projects in own field of expertise.
- Ensure that accurate records of required documentation are maintained.
- Maintain expertise and awareness of current technological and scientific developments.
- Help develop policies and procedures to ensure that QCRI meets research quality objectives towards accreditation standards.
- Ensure that adequate levels of consumable supplies and other items required are managed and used appropriately.
- Other reasonable tasks as assigned by supervisor.
Operating Environment, Framework & Boundaries:
Work is performed in office and computer laboratory environments. Must comply with QF health, safety, and environment policy as well as legal regulations applicable to areas of responsibility. Must comply with national and governmental agencies’ research compliance protocols and procedures. Occasional travel required to attend meetings and conferences.
Communications and Working Relationships:
- Principal Investigator / Senior Scientist – direct and regular communication (weekly formal reporting on ongoing projects and discussion about forthcoming and planned projects and additional meetings as required).
- Research personnel supervised – frequent contact to exchange information, collaborate and follow up on projects, receive progress reports, and to provide training and guidance.
- Other QCRI research groups – regular contact to collaborate on planning and strategy.
Problem Solving & Complexity:
- Evaluates, compares and relates information from across the business Identifies broader implications of proposed solutions across the organization.
- Uses own experience and evidence from theory, other industries and technologies to identify problems and understand situations.
- Reviews existing policy to enable effective problem solving and judgment by the team.
Decision-Making Authority & Responsibility:
- Exhibits sound judgment to anticipate potential implications of all decisions; balances benefits and risks and identifies areas of uncertainty.
- Evaluates information by penetrating questions, thus ensuring complete information is available to make an informed decision.
- Arrives at well-researched decisions that balance quality, service, and cost Encourages and supports appropriate risk-taking by subordinates when making decisions.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- PhD in computer sciences or a related field, with hands-on laboratory experience At least 3 publications in area of expertise.
- Minimum 2 years of experience post-PhD preferred.
- Excellent knowledge of scientific research methods and results analysis.
- Excellent knowledge of algorithms, mathematical modelling, software development and other capabilities that form the computational foundation of applied research.
- Excellent writing skills with the ability to draft and edit a variety of written reports and communications and to articulate ideas clearly and concisely; Arabic proficiency is an advantage.
How to apply
Candidates should submit their complete application (CV, cover letter, research statement, teaching statement and names of 3 references with their full contact information) on the following link: Click here to apply.
The position will remain open until filled. Shortlisted candidates will be called for interview.
HBKU offers an attractive compensation package that includes a tax-free salary and additional benefits such as furnished accommodation, annual paid leave, and medical insurance.
HBKU is an equal opportunity educator and employer. We are committed to maintaining culturally and academically diverse staff of the highest caliber.