Qatar Computing Research Institute (QCRI) aims to build Qatar’s innovation and technology capacity by focusing on large-scale computing challenges that address national priorities for growth and development, supporting Qatar’s transformation from a hydrocarbon-based economy to a knowledge-based economy. In doing this, QCRI conducts world-class multidisciplinary computing research that is relevant to the needs of Qatar, the wider Arab region, and the world.
To administer, manage and conduct scientific research work that addresses the developmental needs of Qatar and enabling the development of applications in health, energy, environment and computing research.
Key Result Areas:
- Lead, manage and conduct independent research that will make major original contributions to the research institute in order to create recognition of marked distinction in its area of research.
- Supervise graduate research projects and train both scientific and administrative staff on research methodologies, modelling and simulation and evaluation of research results in order to ensure the highest standards of practice and research quality throughout the center.
- Actively participate in all aspects of research projects including management and/or leadership of large research projects or teams including research related administrative functions.
- Prepare research proposal submissions to appropriate national and international agencies in order to secure competitive funding.
- Actively participate in research conferences and seminars in the field of expertise.
- Produce conference, seminar papers and publications from research.
- Contribute to the teaching programs within HBKU, Education City or Qatar as needed.
- Ensure appropriate records and documentation of research experiments, samples and specimens examined are maintained while ensuring accuracy of laboratory reports.
- Maintain expertise and awareness of current technological and scientific developments in relevant aspects of the discipline as specified in the role.
- Contribute towards the strategic development of QCRI in conjunction with other senior staff in Qatar Foundation Research and Development.
- Assist with, and where appropriate be responsible for, policies and procedures to ensure that the QCRI meets research quality objectives towards accreditation standards.
- Advice on the niche areas of development for QCRI and HBKU, and contribute to the development of roadmaps for research implementation.
- Assist with the integration of individual projects into a cohesive overall program and coordinates with other QF research initiatives throughout the institute, HBKU, Education City and nationwide.
- Provide analysis, recommendations and presentations to cross functional teams, QCRI, and QF Research and Development when needed.
Communications & Working Relationships:
- Executive Director – regular contact to provide weekly reports on ongoing projects and discussion about forthcoming and planned projects.
- Scientific Staff – frequent contact to assist with project development, follow up on initiated projects, and provide training and guidance when needed.
- Post graduate students – contact as needed to provide support on research projects.
- External research centers/groups – contact as needed to develop and maintain relationships.
Problem Solving & Complexity:
- Proactively identifies problems that are inhibiting meeting organizational objectives.
- Encourages both individuals and teams to solve problems through empowerment and effective delegation and review mechanisms.
- Ensures the allocation of resources and invests in people and tools to optimize problem solving and decision making efforts.
- Removes obstacles and facilitates information flow to support effective problem solving across the organization.
Decision-Making Authority & Responsibility:
- Applies judgment to decide when to make swift decisions even in the absence of all necessary information.
- Arrives at sound and timely decisions, based on past experience and an understanding of the current business environment and projected changes.
- Considers the impact of decisions on various stakeholders and takes this into account.
- Delegates decision making as appropriate to encourage and facilitate empowerment.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- PhD in a relevant scientific field with hands-on laboratory experience.
- At least 8 years of relevant full time work experience with a demonstrated strong record of publications, conference papers, reports and/or professional and/or technical contributions in the relevant scientific discipline.
- Superior knowledge in scientific research methods and evaluation of research results.
- Outstanding theoretical and applied skills to monitor and propose experiments that are relevant to the mission of the QCRI.
- Outstanding leadership skills; able to lead and train a diverse group of scientific research staff.
- An outstanding contributor to original research.
How to apply
Candidates should submit their complete application (CV, cover letter, research statement, teaching statement and names of 3 references with their full contact information) on the following link: Click here to apply.
The position will remain open until filled. Shortlisted candidates will be called for interview.
HBKU offers an attractive compensation package that includes a tax-free salary and additional benefits such as furnished accommodation, annual paid leave, and medical insurance.
HBKU, being an equal opportunity educator and employer, is committed to maintaining culturally and academically diverse staff of the highest caliber.