To lead and develop a team of scientists and researchers who will facilitate QBRI's growth and address developmental healthcare needs of Qatar. Conceive and establish competitive research programs including conducting translational research.
Key Result Areas
- Develop and manage research programs in respective fields of expertise to establish recognition & scientific leadership and accelerate the transfer of technology and know-how.
- Prepare and lead research plans to ensure achievement of QBRI's mission and strategic objectives while contributing actively to advancing HBKU's vision and mission.
- Develop multidisciplinary research programs with synergies to on-going research agenda to achieve an international standard for science and research activities.
- Support and implement programs and initiatives for setting up the Centre's infrastructure and laboratory facilities to ensure achievement of the center's objectives and milestones.
- Assist senior management team in the development and implementation of QBRI's research strategies, business plans, initiatives, and partnerships.
- Maintain expertise and awareness of current technological and scientific developments in relevant aspects of their discipline.
- Prepare and submit research proposals to appropriate national and international agencies in order to secure competitive funding that complements QF resources.
- Oversee the financial management of their grants, contracts and agreements. Contribute to research projects administrative functions and monitoring requests.
- Participate in research conferences and seminars in their field of expertise. Produce conference, seminar papers and publications from research.
- Supervise and train scientists, research associates, research fellow, postdoctoral fellows, research-support and technical staff in relevant areas of work.
- Ensure proper records and documentation of research experiments, samples and specimens examined or maintained, simultaneously ensuring accuracy of laboratory reports. Protect and comply with QF & QBRI's intellectual property rights.
- Recruit research staff in areas that support the center's research priorities and strategic objectives, in close coordination with other members and in compliance with procedures & policies.
- Oversee the implementation of policies and procedures related to the safe conduct, compliance and regulatory issues of scientific research within the center.
- Develop and maintain relationships with existing research partners in Education City and The State of Qatar to create joint programs for the benefit of the Research Centre.
- Establish collaborative relationships with biomedical research, pharmaceutical partners government officials and religious leaders to ensure the Research Centre's input on research ethics, policy and regulation.
- Partake in the center's education, training and joint faculty activities with HBKU as well as other capacity building activities.
- Ensure compliance with national and governmental agencies' research compliance protocols and procedures.
- Other reasonable tasks as assigned by supervisor.
Operating Environment, Framework & Boundaries
Work is performed in a standard office environment. Must comply with QF health, safety, and environment policy as well as legal regulations applicable to areas of responsibility.
Communications and Working Relationships
- Center Director - weekly formal reporting on regular basis such as projects and discussions about forthcoming and/or planned projects.
- Scientific & Research Staff - regular contact to provide training, motivation, and support for all research activities.
- HBKU, research partners and stakeholders in Qatar - Contact as needed to coordinate the development of research programs relevant to QBRI, QF and Qatar.
Problem Solving & Complexity
- Proactively identify problems that are inhibiting organizational objectives.
- Encourage both individuals and teams to solve problems through empowerment and effective delegation; review mechanisms.
- Ensure the allocation of resources and invest in people and tools to optimize problem solving and decision making efforts.
- Remove obstacles and facilitate information flow to support effective problem solving across the organization.
Decision Making Authority & Responsibility
- Apply judgment to decide when to make swift decisions even in the absence of all necessary information.
- Arrive at sound and timely decisions, based on past experience and an understanding of the current business environment and projected changes.
- Consider the impact of decisions on various stakeholders and take this into account.
- Delegate decision making as appropriate to encourage and facilitate empowerment.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- PhD. in biomedical sciences with hands-on laboratory experience.
- 12 years of full time work experience with a demonstrated strong record of publications, conference papers, reports and/or professional and/or technical contributions in the relevant scientific discipline.
- Outstanding domain knowledge in technologies relevant to their field of expertise.
- Prior supervising experience of a team of highly capable, motivated scientists.
- An outstanding contributor to original research. Scientific rigor and superior knowledge in scientific research methods as well as evaluation of research results.
- Outstanding ability to lead, educate and train scientists, research associates and technicians.
- Excellent writing skills with the ability to draft and edit a variety of written reports and communications and to articulate ideas concisely; Arabic proficiency is an advantage.
- Proficiency in MS Office applications.
- At least five years experience in the field of stem cell research related to disease mechanisms and therapy of diabetes and related vascular complications, particularly in the differentiation of human pluripotent stem cells to pancreatic beta-cells and other relevant cell types in the target tissues of insulin.
- Extensive experience in leading research projects with an outstanding record of research accomplishments.
- Record of productive scholarship, including mentoring research students and postdoctoral research assistants.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills along with the ability to work in a highly cooperative team environment as well as independently.
- The focus of our research projects is to use human inducible pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs) to investigate the molecular mechanisms underlying diabetes, insulin resistance and pancreatic beta cell development.
These positions offer outstanding scientific resources and generous funding opportunities amid existing expertise; access to state-of-the-art core laboratories and to a homogeneous and genetically unique population. In addition, there will be the opportunity to take a joint academic appointment at the College of Science and Engineering or College of Health and Life Sciences at HBKU. The positions offer ample opportunities for interaction and collaboration with national, regional and international universities, research institutes, clinical entities and organizations.
How to Apply
Please submit your completed application (CV, cover letter, and the names of three references with their full contact information) via the following link: Click here to apply
Review of applications is expected to begin soon and continue until the position is filled. Shortlisted candidates will be called for interviews.
HBKU offers an attractive compensation package that includes a tax-free salary and additional benefits such as an education allowance, furnished accommodation, annual paid leave, air tickets, and medical insurance.
HBKU, as an equal opportunity educator and employer, is committed to maintaining culturally and academically diverse staff of the highest caliber.