To provide high-level, in-depth research and reference assistance to support the university's instructional research missions.
Key Result Areas:
- Serve HBKU's staff, students and visitors to use the reference collection effectively.
- Develop and implement innovative methods of providing library services.
- Develop and present research instructions using remote technology.
- Conduct research seminars for research assistants and participate in other training as required.
- Participate in providing training for Faculty Research Assistants and develop and maintain electronic updates.
- Participate in library planning and administration.
- Participate in teaching library related classes; provide classroom instruction as needed.
- Assist in training library users to use the library webpage, databases and library catalog.
- Participate in the selection of print and electronic resources in assigned subject areas.
- Perform and supervise the selection of reference material and maintain them.
- Participate in web page committee, OPAC system committee to express the public point of view and concerns, and databases and online resources committee.
- Develop, plan and participate in outreach opportunities in conjunction with the reference department.
- Provide instruction for the use of bibliographic and electronic information systems and networks.
- Serve as liaison to faculty members and interact with faculty and students to identify information needs.
- Assist library patrons by answering specific information requests.
- Guide users in the effective use of a broad range of information resources.
- Resolve customer complaints and offer appropriate solutions.
- Other reasonable tasks as assigned by supervisor.
Operating Environment, Framework & Boundaries:
Work is performed in a standard office and university library environment. Must follow all relevant HBKU policies and procedures, and all regulatory/best practice requirements and protocols. Occasional weekend and evening hours may be required as well as the library's regular reference desk rotation schedule.
Communications and Working Relationships:
- Supervisor - frequent contact to provide guidance, work instructions and approvals.
- Library Information Technology Staff - contact as needed for hardware, software, website, connectivity and technology issues/needs.
- Faculty members and students - frequent contact to assist with library and reference needs.
- Library staff - daily contact for work progress updates and to resolve any library-related issues.
Problem Solving & Complexity:
- Evaluates, compares and relates information from across the business.
- Identifies broader implications of proposed solutions across the organization.
- Uses own experience and evidence from theory, other industries and technologies to identify problems and understand situations.
- Reviews existing policy to enable effective problem solving and judgment by the team.
Decision Making Authority & Responsibility:
- Accepts responsibility/accountability for own decisions and explains the rationale.
- Reviews available information in conjunction with interested parties and arrives at decisions by consensus judging degree of consultation needed to ensure commitment.
- Remains calm and resourceful when making difficult decisions, basing them on facts.
- Ensures decisions are taken by self and others after reviewing available information while exhibiting reasonable foresight.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Library Science, Master's preferred.
- 6-8 years of full-time work experience in higher education institutes.
- Knowledge of the theory of information literacy, reference services, curriculum development and pedagogy to build programs and services.
- Excellent writing skills with the ability to draft and edit a variety of written reports, communication documents and to articulate ideas clearly and concisely.
- Arabic proficiency is an advantage.
- Proficiency in MS Office applications.
How to Apply:
Please submit your completed application (CV, cover letter and the names of three references with their full contact information) via the following link: Click here to apply
Review of applications is expected to begin soon and continue until the position is filled. Shortlist will be called for interviews.
HBKU offers an attractive compensation package that includes a tax-free salary and additional benefits such as an education allowance, furnished accommodation, annual paid leave, air tickets and medical insurance.
HBKU, as an equal opportunity educator and employer, is committed to maintaining culturally and academically diverse staff of the highest caliber.