To manage Hamad Bin Khalifa University’s (HBKU) Sponsored Research Office (SRO).
Key Result Areas:
- Oversee the SRO, managing pre-award, post awards and contracts for externally funded and contracted research agreements for all HBKU entities, including the colleges & research institutes.
- Ensure contracts and agreements are executed in compliance with HBKU, QF and the Sponsors’ policies and procedures.
- Oversee the financial and reporting audit process for completed projects in accordance with the executed research agreements.
- Monitor and analyze the progress of research activities and ensure proper reporting to satisfy both internal and external requirements.
- Manage personnel matters, including workforce planning, recruitment, hiring, professional development, Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), disciplinary actions, and incentive programs.
- Set long and short-term strategies and objectives for the SRO; develop operational policies and procedures; identify & pursue funding opportunities in Qatar and abroad; and manage program growth in order to increase the share of external funding.
- Manage the financial and technical analyses of project proposals.
- Participate in the negotiation and conclusion of partnership agreements, and monitor financial agreements and deadlines to ensure that partnerships are implemented as agreed, that research is in compliance with sponsors’ policies and the project-specific terms and conditions, and that deadlines are met.
- Prepare and negotiate contracts and subcontracts that support sponsored projects.
- Manage audits as required by QF and research partners / sponsors.
- Serve as the main point of contact with sponsors, collaborators, QF Finance, legal office and other relevant entities.
- Other reasonable tasks as assigned by supervisor.
Communications & Working Relationships:
- HBKU VPR – frequent contact to collaborate on planning, to provide progress reports, and to receive approvals.
- Lead researchers – frequent contact to receive reporting information, manage contracts, consult on the feasibility of potential / proposed projects and to provide analyses and reasonable timelines.
- Research sponsors – regular contact to provide progress reports on current work, identify new opportunities, and to negotiate new relationships.
- Collaborating researchers and institutions – regular contact to receive / provide status updates and negotiate new relationships.
- Reporting staff – regular contact to receive updates, provide guidance, and assign tasks.
- QF R&D Intellectual Property Office, and Legal and Finance departments – regular contact as needed to provide information and obtain needed services.
Problem Solving & Complexity:
- Evaluates, compares and relates information from across the business.
- Identifies broader implications of proposed solutions across the organization.
- Uses own experience and evidence from theory, other industries and technologies to identify problems and understand situations.
- Reviews existing policy to enable effective problem solving and judgment by the team.
Decision-Making Authority & Responsibility:
- Exhibits sound judgment to anticipate potential implications of all decisions; balances benefits and risks and identifies areas of uncertainty.
- Evaluates information by penetrating questions, thus ensuring complete information is available to make an informed decision.
- Arrives at well-researched decisions that balance quality service and cost.
- Encourages and supports appropriate risk taking by subordinates when making decisions.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration or related field.
- 8-10 years of relevant full-time work experience.
- Outstanding experience managing grants and donor relations.
- Must be able to read, analyze and interpret financial reports and legal documents, and interpret data and manage resources.
- Outstanding knowledge in a variety of R&D concepts, practices, and procedures.
- Excellent organizational development, communication, administration, management and leadership skills.
- Excellent writing skills with the ability to draft and edit a variety of written reports and communications and to articulate ideas clearly and concisely;
- Arabic proficiency is an advantage.
- Proficiency in MS Office applications.
How To Apply:
Candidates should submit their complete application (CV, cover letter and names of 3 references with their full contact information) on the following link: Click here to apply
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Shortlisted candidates will be called for interviews.
HBKU offers an attractive compensation package that includes a tax-free salary and additional benefits such as an education allowance, furnished accommodation, annual paid leave, air tickets and medical insurance.
Hamad Bin Khalifa University, being an equal opportunity educator and employer, is committed to maintaining culturally and academically diverse staff of the highest caliber.