To provide financial operational support for the College of Islamic Studies (CIS) research and academic activities.
Key Result Areas
- Understand the financial processes (planning, budgeting, forecasting, and reporting).
- Monitor, analyze, and review budgets, costs, resources, and expenditure. Use cost-benefit thinking to set priorities.
- Implement financial planning and set priorities and activities in a logical order, develop schedules and timetables, and organize resources including time and surrounding circumstances to complete the work efficiently, and reach a specific goal.
- Assess, measure, and prioritize financial and business risks related to corporate initiatives. Address risks through understanding/development of mitigation and contingency plans for high-priority drivers.
- Understand and analyze costs, spending, and cost drivers.
- Create internal and external financial reports for both individual entities and groups using appropriate accounting and/or regulatory requirements.
- Coordinate with relevant staff at CIS regarding the preparation of the annual business plans and provide necessary financial advice and support.
- Liaise with the Dean’s Office and the appropriate entities: HBKU Operations, HBKU/QF Finance, and other departments to ensure effective support in all areas and to provide a mechanism for unit and entity accountability.
- Prepare and manage the annual budgets and ensure alignment with plans and compliance with budgeting procedures and guidelines.
- Resolve issues, concerns, and conflicts arising during budget preparations and submission.
- Supervise financial activities, such as payables, receivables, and general ledger accounts, and ensure that all financial transactions are properly recorded, filed, and reported.
- Collaborate with auditing services to ensure proper compliance with all regulations.
- Examine all financial reports and data closely to check for discrepancies.
- Collect data on and analyze the feasibility of financial proposals submitted by potential partners for new programs or joint ventures and negotiate with them in collaboration with the Dean to ensure CIS’s requirements are met.
- Other reasonable tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
Operating Environment, Framework & Boundaries
Work is performed in a standard office environment.
Communications and Working Relationships
- Dean – regular contact to receive guidance and to provide progress reports.
- Representatives of CIS Operations and Finance – frequent contact to provide information and support for required analyses and reports.
- Dean, Faculty, Research Directors – frequent contact to assist in the annual budgeting process (preparation, management, and submission).
- Research projects progress according to plan and submit periodic performance reports to CIS research division director.
- Students - frequent contact to monitor registration fees, tuition fees and collection, scholarship waivers.
Problem Solving & Complexity
- Evaluate different options when solving problems.
- Refrain from jumping to conclusions in the absence of clear evidence, take time to collect facts before developing a solution.
- Consider the medium-term as well as the immediate short-term impact of outcomes and actions.
- Demonstrate an awareness of the impact of the preferred solutions on other projects/related problems.
Decision-Making Authority & Responsibility
- Accept responsibility/accountability for own decisions and explain the rationale.
- Review available information in conjunction with interested parties and arrives at decisions by consensus judging the degree of consultation needed to ensure commitment.
- Remain calm and resourceful when making difficult decisions, basing them on facts.
- Ensure decisions are taken by self and the group after reviewing available information while exhibiting reasonable foresight.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in finance or accounting, a master’s degree preferred.
- Six to eight years of relevant full-time work experience preferably in a higher education/college setting.
- Promoting efficient teamwork by encouraging active participation and cross-functional collaboration.
- Excellent writing skills with the ability to draft and edit a variety of written reports and documents, and to articulate ideas clearly and concisely; Arabic proficiency is an advantage.
- Proficiency in MS Office applications.
How to Apply
Please submit your completed application (CV, cover letter, and the names of three references with their full contact information) via the following link: Click here to apply
Review of applications is expected to begin soon and continue until the position is filled. Shortlisted candidates will be called for interviews.
HBKU offers an attractive compensation package that includes a tax-free salary and additional benefits such as an education allowance, furnished accommodation, annual paid leave, air tickets, and medical insurance.
HBKU, as an equal opportunity educator and employer, is committed to maintaining culturally and academically diverse staff of the highest caliber.