To promote HBKU’s e-learning course and program offerings and oversee the professional development of faculty and staff in this area.
Key Result Areas:
- Provide leadership, expertise and assistance for the development of online courses, hybrid programs and MOOCs.
- Oversee the setup and maintenance of the e-learning platforms and ensure the effective delivery and assessment of the academic learning outcomes via the platform.
- Collaborate with the HBKU colleges to develop new online course offerings and MOOCs.
- Collaborate with HBKU colleges and academic programs to initiate e-learning solutions and online courses.
- Oversee the training and professional development of faculty on the use of learning management systems.
- Initiate the quality assurance of online course offerings and delivering methodologies.
- Establish new collaborative programs with Digital Courses providers (e.g. EdX, Coursera, etc.).
- Recommend policies that would enhance the use of instructional technologies and e-learning tools.
- Recommend and implement strategies for the effective assessment of e-learning course and program offerings.
- Liaise with academic units and instructional design teams to define the requirements and objectives of online course offerings.
- Oversee the maintenance of distance learning records and files.
- Deploy, maintain and monitor the use of the digital learning environment.
- Review, evaluate and enhance existing e-learning programs and courses; recommend and implement hybrid programs and online course changes.
- Measure and report effectiveness of newly developed programs using defined measures.
- Collaborate with HBKU IT to develop and maintain the required infrastructure and systems.
- Develop local online digital learning platforms for all HBKU programs and colleges.
- Other reasonable tasks as assigned by supervisor.
Operating Environment, Framework & Boundaries:
The majority of work is carried out in a standard office environment. Frequent work is required outside of normal office hours; some international travel required. Must follow all relevant HBKU policies and procedures, and all regulatory/best practice requirements and protocols.
Communications and Working Relationships:
- Provost - frequent contact to provide improvement plans for e-learning and digital courses and solutions.
- Associate Provosts & Directors - frequent contact to conduct education and operational data collection and provide reports on key e-learning functions and digital courses performance.
- Deans - frequent contact to collect data for the common data set initiative.
Problem Solving & Complexity:
- Evaluates different options when solving problems.
- Refrains from jumping to conclusions in the absence of clear evidence, takes time to collect facts before developing a solution.
- Considers the medium term as well as immediate short-term impact of outcomes and actions.
- Demonstrates an awareness of the impact of preferred solution on other projects/ related problems.
Decision Making Authority & Responsibility:
- Accepts responsibility / accountability for own decisions and explains the rationale.
- Reviews available information in conjunction with interested parties and arrives at decisions by consensus judging degree of consultation needed to ensure commitment.
- Remains calm and resourceful when making difficult decisions, basing them on facts.
- Ensures decisions are taken by self and group after reviewing available information while exhibiting reasonable foresight.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- Master’s degree in Instructional Design, Instructional Technology or a related area, preferable a Ph.D. degree.
- 5 years of experience in launching new online programs and using learning management systems.
- Hands-on experience in designing and launching online courses.
- Experience using multiple learning management systems (Canvas, edX, Coursera, etc.).
- Experience administering the Canvas Learning Management System (LMS), including course administration, training and user support.
- Experience designing and developing online and hybrid programs.
- In-depth knowledge of educational statistics and ability to use appropriate statistical software.
- Outstanding interpersonal and networking skills, as well as communicating and negotiation skills.
- Excellent writing skills with the ability to draft and edit a variety of written reports and documents and to articulate ideas clearly and concisely.
- Arabic proficiency is an advantage.
How to Apply:
Please submit your completed application (CV, cover letter and the names of three references with their full contact information) via the following link: Click here to apply
Review of applications is expected to begin soon and continue until the position is filled. Shortlist will be called for interviews.
HBKU offers an attractive compensation package that includes a tax-free salary and additional benefits such as an education allowance, furnished accommodation, annual paid leave, air tickets and medical insurance.
HBKU, as an equal opportunity educator and employer, is committed to maintaining culturally and academically diverse staff of the highest caliber.