To manage the strategic and technical aspects of the core research facility.
Key Result Areas
- Develop strategic and tactical operational plans for the core research facility.
- Develop core research facility user policies in conjunction with executive leadership.
- Assess core research facility needs to identify and recommend new instruments and ssupervise installation of new equipment.
- Work with leadership to complete infrastructure build-out and manage space allocations.
- Interface with vendors and manage technology platforms.
- Oversee day-to-day operations of the core research facility, including designing procedures and work flow processes.
- Provide technical expertise to scientists and collaborators.
- Oversee user training programs; design and develop curricula as needed.
- Assist investigators in assessing their experimental needs, act as a resource by fielding questions, and offer expert guidance in available methods.
- Adopt and develop novel techniques and experimental approaches to advance research programs.
- Plan projects: select method and platform, design experiments, perform analyses where relevant, design cross-platform projects, prepare budgets, etc.
- Pursue funding for core research facilities and assist faculty with proposal preparation.
- Direct core operations and oversee updates, maintenance, shutdowns, and scheduling of the core facilities instruments.
- Manage inventory of core research facility laboratory.
- Contribute towards QBRI's website by providing content and information pertinent to core research facility policies, procedures, available technology, and scheduling.
- Expand the user community and promote utilization of core facilities.
- Participate in activities related to new research space working with various stakeholders.
- Represent QBRI at meetings related to QBRI's projects and research programs, and coordinate strategic facilities issues.
- Manage personnel, including hiring, scheduling & work assignments, performance appraisals, salary recommendations, and disciplinary actions, and terminations.
- Develop and implement scientific service programs in highly technical experiments on enabling platforms in related fields of Genomics, Proteomics, Mass Spectrometry, Flow Cytometry, Microscopy and Imaging. Operate and utilize lab instruments and technology platforms.
- Other reasonable tasks as assigned by supervisor.
Operating Environment, Framework & Boundaries
Work is performed in a standard office environment. Candidate must comply with QF health, safety, and environment policy as well as legal regulations applicable to areas of responsibility.
Communications and Working Relationships
- Supervisor — frequent contact to provide progress reports, receive feedback, and discuss required resources and future plans.
- Directors & scientists — frequent contact to discuss technical needs and provide technical expertise, and to support and / or participate in research projects.
- Direct reports — frequent contact to provide guidance, instructions, and feedback on work.
- National stakeholders (including Hamad Medical Corporation, Qatar University, Branch campuses, Sidra, and the Supreme Council of Health) — contact as needed to collaborate on projects and receive and provide technical expertise, sample processing, and similar services.
- Equipment Vendors — contact as needed to arrange equipment maintenance and training.
Problem Solving & Complexity
- Evaluates, compares and relates information from across the business.
- Identifies broader implications of proposed solutions across the organization.
- Uses own experience and evidence from theory, other industries and technologies to identify problems and understand situations.
- Reviews existing policy to enable effective problem solving and judgment by the team.
Decision Making Authority & Responsibility
- Exhibits sound judgment to anticipate potential implications of all decisions; balances benefits and risks, and identifies areas of uncertainty.
- Evaluates information through investigative questions, thus ensuring complete information is available to make an informed decision.
- Arrives at well-researched decisions that balance quality service and cost.
- Encourages and supports appropriate risk taking by subordinates when making decisions.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- M.Sc. in a Biomedical-related field.
- Advanced knowledge including formal training that is directly related to instrumentation and the type of work being performed in core facilities, technology, and enabling platforms.
- 6 years of relevant research experience; management experience in a core facility, service laboratory, or industrial research laboratory strongly preferred.
- Outstanding project planning, data analysis, and presentation skills.
- Strong interpersonal communication, presentation, and negotiation skills.
- Strong writing skills, with the ability to draft and edit a variety of written reports & communications and articulate ideas clearly and concisely. Arabic proficiency an advantage Proficiency in MS Office applications.
How to Apply
Please submit your completed application (CV, cover letter, and the names of three references with their full contact information) via the following link: Click here to apply
Review of applications is expected to begin soon and continue until the position is filled. Shortlisted candidates will be called for interviews.
HBKU offers an attractive compensation package that includes a tax-free salary and additional benefits such as an education allowance, furnished accommodation, annual paid leave, air tickets, and medical insurance.
HBKU, as an equal opportunity educator and employer, is committed to maintaining culturally and academically diverse staff of the highest caliber.