To promote, high quality faculty-driven scholarly endeavors that provide world-class student experience and position the University as a leading institute of higher education on the global higher education map. The Provost is expected, under the direction of and in collaboration with the President, to provide leadership and supervision for all aspects of academic activities across the University.
Key Result Area
- In collaboration with the President, lead the planning, development, implementation and assessment of all academic programs and academic-related research.
- Ensure the academic integrity and excellence in teaching, academic program research and scholarship, and service at the operational level.
- Promote innovative interdisciplinary and entrepreneurship programs across the colleges.
- Supervise all academic programs and support functions (including student recruitment and admission, academic records and registration), faculty affairs (appointment and promotion policies), and compliance with national, international, and professional accreditation standards.
- Provide inspirational leadership and supervision for all University academics.
- Lead the development of exceptional undergraduate, graduate, post-doctoral and professional educational experiences that lead to successful outcomes for postdocs.
- Work with the President to build alliances and coordinate other mutually beneficial relationships with academic institutions, businesses, government and other agencies.
- Focus resources towards developing an academic vision where enrolment, retention and student success are top priorities at various education levels.
- Work with the Deans within the context of the University’s strategic plan, priorities for the development of each colleges strategic goals, operational and budgetary plans that stimulate academic excellence to ensure that programs and budgets reflect the strategic directions of the University.
- Develop highly-effective working relationships with all deans, faculty, vice presidents and administrators who do not report to this position, with the intention of advancing the University’s mission of achieving globally recognized teaching and research excellence.
- Improve program quality and competitiveness through internal and external review and accreditation.
- Encourage and promote interdisciplinary teaching, research and creative academic program development throughout the University while making use of the most effective new learning technologies and methods.
- Ensure regular review and reporting of academic provision and administrative departments and related processes to pursue excellence and continuous improvement.
- Establish and maintain the accreditation of the academic programs.
- Lead the development and management of the University’s academic policies.
- Nominate suitable candidates for deans and associate provost positions for the President approval.
- Lead the appointment of faculty and determine the appropriate compensation and benefits in collaboration with the relevant deans and within the approved policies and guidelines.
- Other reasonable tasks as assigned by President.
- Operating Environment, Framework & Boundaries:
- Work is performed in a standard office environment with frequent work outside of normal working hours.
- Local, regional and international travel may be required.
Communications and Working Relationships:
- President – regular contact to provide data and updates and receive guidance and approvals.
- Direct reports – regular contact to exchange information and provide guidance and approvals.
Problem Solving & Complexity:
- Proactively identify problems that are inhibiting meeting the University’s objectives.
- Encourage individuals and teams to solve problems through empowerment and effective delegation and review mechanisms.
- Ensure the allocation of resources, and invest in people and tools to optimize problem-solving and decision-making efforts.
- Remove obstacles and promote facilitates information flow to support effective problem-solving.
Decision-Making Authority & Responsibility:
- Apply judgment to decide when to make swift decisions even in the absence of all necessary information.
- Arrive at sound and timely decisions based on past experiences, and an understanding of the current business environment and projected changes.
- Consider the impact of decisions on various stakeholders.
- Delegate decision-making as appropriate to encourage and facilitate empowerment.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- Professorial status at an established, well-recognized university
- PhD or a terminal degree in a relevant discipline from a well-recognized higher education institute.
- Prominent scholarly accomplishment suitable for the appointment of a Professor at relevant HBKU College.
- 15-20 years of teaching, research and university services experience at a large and complex educational institution with 10+ years at a higher education senior leadership level.
- Strong leadership, planning, and management skills and the ability to lead and inspire educators.
- Experience leading a research-based university with a staff of 200+ and a budget of more than QAR 250 Million.
- Track record of building partnerships and external relations with institutions and government officials
- Track record of attracting and retaining highly-qualified faculty and students.
- Exemplary oral and written communication skills with the ability to draft and edit a variety of written reports and communications and to articulate ideas clearly and concisely
- Ability to collaboratively lead and manage multi-national and multi-cultural environment with high degree of cultural sensitivity.
How to apply:
Please submit your completed application (CV, cover letter and the names of three references with their full contact information) via the following link: Click here to apply
For inquiries, contact Provost’s office at:
Hamad Bin Khalifa University, being an equal opportunity educator and employer, is committed to maintaining culturally and academically diverse staff of the highest caliber.