Oversee the planning, development and assessment of undergraduate and graduate academic programs; and direct activities of faculty members and Enrolment and Registration.
Key Result Areas:
- Oversee academic matters and work collaboratively with administrators, faculty and staff to achieve university and campus objectives.
- Collaborate with academic personnel to develop and implement academic plans, new academic programs and academic policies.
- Provide strategic insight toward program design to ensure that each degree program is innovative and interdisciplinary in nature.
- Apply best practices to ensure the highest standards and overall quality of academic programs at HBKU.
- Set the standards for comprehensive assessment to ensure compliance with the highest academic and supporting standards.
- Oversee the academic program reviews and assessments to ensure HBKU develops, conducts and maintains effective assessment plans.
- Integrate HBKU academic programs with HBKU research priorities and institutions.
- Lead the academic program design processes to ensure compliance with national and international accrediting agencies, HBKU academic policies and the regulations of Qatar's higher education.
- Deliver reports on the academic viability of proposed academic programs.
- Provide leadership toward faculty affairs activities such as faculty appointment, promotion and performance evaluation, and guidance toward their policies and procedures.
- Administer policies and regulations affecting students including oversight of processing student requests, complaints and grievances.
- Oversee the institutional accreditation processes.
- Act as a focal point on site for national and international accrediting agencies; communicate with external entities and any third-party reviewers.
- Respond to any recommendations or suggestions from accrediting bodies, ranking agencies or third-party reviewers.
- Oversee and maintain an up-to-date comprehensive Student Handbook, Faculty Handbook and Academic Catalogue.
- Report the student case management with respect to academic policies and procedures.
- Provide the leadership oversight to the functions of the office of enrollment, the office of the registrar and the academic planning and assessment functions.
- Monitor financial budgets for the Enrolment and Registration departments.
- Guide the graduating student clearance review process.
- Other reasonable tasks as assigned by supervisor.
Operating Environment, Framework & Boundaries:
Work is carried out in a standard office environment. Frequent work is required outside of normal office hours with some international travel. Must follow all relevant HBKU policies and procedures, and all regulatory/best practice requirements and protocols.
Communications and Working Relationships:
- Provost - frequent contact to provide academic planning and assessment, reports academic improvements, student recruitment and retention plans.
- Associate Provosts, VPs, & Deans (senior leadership) - frequent contact to coordinate college and institutional academic/research performance and faculty affairs issues.
- Senior research leadership - frequent contact on data collection and program and unit assessment.
Problem Solving & Complexity:
- Proactively identifies problems that are inhibiting meeting organizational objectives.
- Encourages both individuals and teams to solve problems through empowerment and effective delegation and review mechanisms.
- Ensures the allocation of resources and invests in people and tools to optimize problem-solving and decision-making efforts.
- Removes obstacles and facilitates information flow to support effective problem solving across the organization.
Decision Making Authority & Responsibility:
- Applies judgment to decide when to make swift decisions, even in the absence of all necessary information.
- Arrives at sound and timely decisions, based on experience and an understanding of the current business environment and projected changes.
- Considers the impact of decisions on various stakeholders and takes this into account.
- Delegates decision-making as appropriate to encourage and facilitate empowerment.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- Earned a PhD Degree.
- 15 years of experience in higher education, with eight to 10 years in higher education administration with university curriculum committees and on university faculty affairs issues.
- Extensive experience in assessment and evaluation of academic programs.
- Strong project management skills, excellent planning and analytical skills and the ability to make strategic decisions independently and provide dynamic and visionary leadership.
- Outstanding people management skills, project management skills and negotiation skills.
- Excellent writing skills - ability to draft / edit a variety of written reports and communications and articulate ideas clearly and concisely.
- Arabic proficiency preferred.
- Proficiency in MS Office, SPSS, Banner and other relevant applications.
How to Apply:
Please submit your completed application (CV, cover letter and the names of three references with their full contact information) via the following link: Click here to apply
Review of applications is expected to begin soon and continue until the position is filled. Applicants on the shortlist will be called for interviews.
For full consideration, applications should be submitted no later than March 31, 2020. Positions will remain open until filled.
HBKU offers an attractive compensation package that includes a tax-free salary and additional benefits such as an education allowance, furnished accommodation, annual paid leave, air tickets and medical insurance.
HBKU, as an equal opportunity educator and employer, is committed to maintaining culturally and academically diverse staff of the highest caliber.