The College of Science and Engineering currently offers the largest selection of programs within the university. All of its programs involve collaboration with HBKU’s research institutes, utilizing the skills of expert scientists, and with external world-renowned academics and industrial partners strengthening the link between education and societal and economic needs and maximizing students’ employability.
HBKU seeks applications for the position of Lab Manager at the College of Science and Engineering under the Division of Sustainable Development. The applicant will be responsible for managing laboratory operations related to teaching and research activities.
Required Qualifications & Skills
- Develop teaching and research laboratory guidelines, policies, and protocols on the safe conduct of research, handling of consumables and equipment, and compliance reporting.
- Provide training on laboratory equipment.
- Supervise and train laboratory technicians and graduate students.
- Guide professors, principal investigators, scientists, and students in the conduct of research, data collection and reporting.
- Teach assigned sessions of the laboratory in accordance with the curriculum and as directed by the dean or the coordinator of the course or program, if applicable.
- Coordinate with professors to assist with practical exams and collect lab reports or other evaluation material from students and help in grading them, if applicable.
- Develop educational material in compliance with the curriculum to support students with the lab components in their programs.
- Collect, comply, and report on data for analysis by the students and professors.
- Ensure the safekeeping of the records and results of all experiments performed.
- Maintain adequate supplies of consumables and reagents for teaching and research use.
- Calibrate and maintain equipment and instrumentation so that it is available for use and to ensure the accuracy of results.
- Maintain a register of research asset utilization, including space allocation and use.
- Manage the laboratory budget.
- Recommend technologies for research preparation and for comprehensive laboratory support and operations.
- Carry out and lead research projects; mentor and supervise laboratory users in achieving research project tasks as directed by the dean, PI, or course coordinator.
- Perform other reasonable tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Ph.D. degree in engineering, chemistry, environmental science, or similar relevant fields & 5 years of relevant full-time work experience managing a laboratory.
- Hands-on experience in engineering, chemistry and environmental related research fields.
- Good expertise in operating laboratory analytical equipment.
- Familiarity with safety standards and protocols.
- Teaching experience in a practical laboratory is an advantage.
- Experience as a Health and Safety Officer is preferred.
- Experience troubleshooting and repairing basic instruments is desirable.
- Excellent writing skills with the ability to draft and edit a variety of written reports and communications and to articulate ideas clearly and concisely; Arabic proficiency is an advantage.
- Proficiency in MS Office applications and excellent database skills.
How To Apply
To apply, please follow this link.
Additional documents may be solicited from short-listed candidates. Review of applicants will begin immediately, and the positions will remain open until filled.
Applications will be reviewed immediately and continue a rolling basis until all positions are filled. Shortlisted candidates will be called for interviews.
HBKU offers an attractive compensation package that includes a tax-free salary and additional benefits such as an education allowance, furnished accommodation, annual paid leave, air tickets and medical insurance.