The College of Humanities and Social Sciences (CHSS) at Hamad Bin Khalifa University (HBKU) aims to deliver innovative programs that meet educational needs in the fields of humanities and social sciences in Qatar and the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region.
To have overall responsibility for the Language Center (LC).
Key Result Areas
- Set the overall strategy and direction of the LC, in coordination with the Dean
- Prepare the business plan and annual budget and ensure sound and achievable growth targets
- Oversee curricular development to ensure that courses offered meet the standards and requirements of the Institute; approve course scope and syllabus, textbooks, and other purchases of teaching materials and equipment; review curriculum on an annual basis
- Represent CHSS-TII and the LC at local, regional and international conferences as well as with similar institutions in order to develop and maintain strong relationships for potential future collaboration and development of the LC and growth of its reputation
- Participate in LC accreditation activities and facilitate access to information requested by the accreditation committee
- Oversee and monitor the work of Language Instructors and provide any needed support
- Oversee and approve course schedule & timetables to ensure that they are adequately planned
- Oversee course registration, including determination of prerequisites and placement testing
- Provide regular progress reports on activities and developments to the Dean for review and decision making
- Keep abreast of and adopt current language teaching methodologies; ensure that Language Instructors receive appropriate professional development
- Recruit, interview, hire, and on board Language Instructors and staff, and evaluate work on a regular basis
- Monitor and manage Language Centre compliance with CHSS-TII policies, procedures, rules, and regulations
- Address issues that may arise with regards to students and take appropriate action to resolve them in a timely manner
- Other reasonable tasks as assigned by the Dean
Operating Environment, Framework & Boundaries
Work is performed in a standard office environment. Some work outside of normal working hours may be required. Must comply with QF health, safety, and environment policy as well as legal regulations applicable to areas of responsibility. A high degree of confidentiality is required.
Communications and Working Relationships
- Dean - frequent contact to collaborate on planning, to report on progress and activities, and to receive guidance and approvals
- Language Center staff - frequent contact to provide guidance and work instructions and to address any concerns
- Students - frequent contact in all areas of responsibility
- Similar institutions - regular contact to build relationships and develop collaborations
Minimum Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Master's degree in Education, Translation & Interpretation, Management, or a related field
- 8 years of language teaching and management experience; university-level teaching experience preferred
- Experience developing and administering a budget, and developing and monitoring a business plan
- Extensive knowledge of language pedagogy best practices and teaching technologies
- Outstanding communication, interpersonal, and negotiation skills
- Outstanding organization, planning, and time management skills
- Excellent writing skills, with the ability to draft and edit a variety of written reports & communications and articulate ideas clearly and concisely. Arabic proficiency strongly preferred; proficiency in other languages is an advantage.
- Proficiency in MS Office applications.
How to Apply
Candidates should submit their complete application (CV, cover letter, research statement, teaching statement, and names and full contact information of three referees) on the following link: Click here to apply
Review of applications is expected to begin soon and will continue until the position is filled. Shortlisted candidates will be called for interviews.
HBKU offers an attractive compensation package that includes a tax-free salary and additional benefits such as Housing & Transportation Allowances, Children Educational Assistance, annual paid leave and airfares, medical insurance etc.
HBKU, as an equal opportunity educator and employer, is committed to maintaining culturally and academically diverse staff of the highest caliber.